5/10/11

A Wave into the Past

Day 7 - A picture of your most treasured item

I do not have an actual picture of this item. But I found one that comes fairly close. My most treasured item is a Japanese fan that sits on the shelf above my bed. Before you roll your eyes or change web pages, let me explain what makes this fan so significant to me.


I have always had a fascination for Japanese culture. I have studied some, watched anime, read manga, and even read up on the culture of the geisha. My grandfather was in World War II, stationed in Japan. Of the few souvenirs he brought back to America, one was this fan. During the war, geisha houses had to sell their belongings, which American soldiers bought as souvenirs. The fan was given to my great aunt.

My grandfather passed away during my freshman year in college. After he passed, I traveled to Indiana with my family. My great aunt came to me and handed me this fan. She said to me, "Your grandfather would have wanted you to have it." That is why the fan is so precious. It was bought as a gift of love for our family, it was bought from a culture which I once adored. But most importantly I was entrusted with the love of my grandfather through this fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment