1/21/12

First Weekend

This weekend was my first weekend in Celebration, Florida. Before I get to that, it is time for a weekend update.

Thursday - Thursday was one of the longest days. This was the day that I was to leave for Celebration, by car. Packed up the night before my dad and I jumped in the car and drove off at 6:00am, before the sun had even risen into the sky. It was peaceful for the most part. We traded on and off driving and sleeping. We watched the sun rise over the trees and escaped the North before a single drop of snow fell to the ground. We landed at Savannah, Georgia 13 hours later and crashed.

Friday - Although not quite as early, 7:30am we left again. We made it to Orlando, Florida by 1:30pm. I was incredibly nervous to meet my host family. The thought of living with people I had never met for 6 weeks was beyond nerve racking. After a long lunch we finally drove into Celebration. The town is absolutely stunning. The homes are as if a movie set pulled them directly from a story book. Each has the same white trim, each home in a different color, each with different pillars & patios & levels of flooring. It was picture perfect.

Friday Night - Then I met the family. I could not have felt more at home than if I were actually at home. The family that I am with is beyond incredible. The host mother is as welcoming and chipper as can be, and the host father, well he reminds me a lot of my dad. I now have one host sister & brother, both in high school, both with an amazing sense of humor. 

Saturday - Saturday is my first full day in Celebration. The other AU intern and I awoke to a knock on our door. Our host brother saying, "I bought you Chick Fil A for breakfast!" ((Let it be noted that the brother & sister are obsessed with Chick Fil A)). After breakfast we were taken on a bike ride through Celebration. The bike paths were carved through native plants, in what appeared to be a jungle of pine trees. We rode to the high school and then to downtown. It is the perfect blend of a big city and a small town. The big Orlando/Kissimmee city is only minutes away, but downtown makes you feel at home. People are fishing off the pier, others are sitting by the water and admiring the view, while others eat outside at restaurants and greeting passers by. 

Not every post will be this long. But now you have been caught up. Life has never looked so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment